Some people avoid eating beans because they experience gas, bloating, abdominal discomfort and an occasional embarrassing moment (not to mention, a fragrant moment for the rest of us)! However, this side effect of bean consumption can be reduced in several ways:
·Note: My mother always used this one and this is the way she taught me to cook beans – now I know why! Soak dry beans overnight and discard the water before cooking. This reduces the oligosaccharide content of the beans, which is a sugar that is digested by the bacteria in our intestines, thus producing gas. As a bonus, they will also cook faster this way.
·Cook beans with Read More
Our products at East West Essentials are created to help with a variety of health & wellness areas. And what you may not know is that you can combine some of then for even more benefits! We love to work with clients on our East West Essentials’ clinics to help find the combination that works best for them.
Our latest powerhouse combo is the Optimal Repair Blend and the Optimal Protein Powder. This has been a favorite duo in our clinics and we are excited to share this one with you!
By combining these two supplements you are getting an amzing source of Colostrum-derived protein for converting fat to lean muscle and lowering cortisol levels along with the adaptogens, superfoods and superfruits for adrenal function, weight loss, optimal health and anti-aging!
How to use the Optimal Repair and the Optimal Protein Powder together
You can either Read More
Posted in Anti-Aging Secret, health & wellness, Heather Wilson, Supplements Tagged Anti-Aging, Colostrum-derived protein, East West Essentials, heather wilson, optimal protein powder, optimal repair, supplement combo, weight loss
When I was a teenager I was a good kid with a bad habit. A very bad habit. I didn’t drink or smoke. I didn’t do drugs or cheat at school, though my habit was just as deadly. I was a regular visitor to my local tanning salon, and I regret that every day. In hindsight I can’t believe it was even legal for minor to visit tanning salons, then or now. Read on and you’ll see what I mean…
Here are some important “Did You Know’s” to begin with:
- Did you know that in 2009 the World Health Organization reclassified tanning devices as a high –level carcinogen – their most dangerous designation, which includes the same designation for cigarettes and plutonium?
- Did you know that the number of skin cancer cases linked to tanning beds every year is Read More
Spices are filled with a slew of powerful health & wellness benefits. Not only are they delicious, they are also exceptionally healthy! Our newest product, the Beauty & Spice Pack, harnesses the natural power of spices and boosts your overall body and wellness in a variety of areas. And the best part? This 10-pack of spices (including information on how, where and why to use each!) is only $22!
Defend your skin and your health – naturally! Our organic spices are Read More
Take a deep breath and relax…your skin will thank you!
This time of year is always very exciting and busy. If you are a student you are taking notes and cramming for final exams. Parents are finalizing family vacations, play dates and group sports for their children and themselves. And everyone else is getting bombarded with camping trip and barbeque evites via Facebook. It’s all fun (well, apart from taking finals) but when it’s all added up it can be very stressful!
The four comments I keep getting from my clients recently are:
1. My skin feels so dehydrated
2. My skin looks really dull
3. I’m breaking out along my jawline and chin a lot lately
4. I have little red bumps on my forehead
All of these conditions can be directly linked to Read More
As much as we may work out at the gym we still can use some assistance when it comes to building lean muscle mass. Did you know that the East West Essentials Optimal Protein Powder (used in our Optimal Cleanse programs) is a great way to help?
The Optimal Protein Powder colostrum derived protein is designed to increase uptake of blood glucose and facilitate the transport of glucose to the muscles, which keeps energy levels up. It also can slow the rate of protein breakdown (catabolism) that occurs after a vigorous workout. It speeds up protein synthesis, which results in lean muscle mass without an increase in the amount of stored fat. Colostrum improves the assimilation of nutrients, which leads to improved energy levels and performance. Also, the immune factors in the Optimal Protein are designed to help athletes to minimize their susceptibility to infections while being able to keep up with their workouts.
One tip I always give clients is to drink more water! At East West Essentials, we recommend drinking half of your body weight in water ounces each day. The old “8 glasses a day” saying? Nope. If you weigh 200 lbs. you should be getting in 100 oz. of water each day. It is especially important in the hot months of summer that you drink enough water.
I am a huge fan of lemon water, and came across a great list of the benefits of drinking it on the blog La Jolla Mom that I wanted to share with all of you. Maybe one of these ten ideas will encourage you to add a little lemon to your next glass of H2O. Enjoy!
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush Read More
At East West Essentials, we love food! We are self-described foodies who loves to cook. But we all know not every recipe has healthy ideals in mind, so we are sharing some of our favorite substitutes to make that meal better for you. From our kitchen to yours… enjoy!
- My family makes a lot garlic mashed potatoes for get togethers. I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and red potatos for wonderful garlic mashed potatoes.
- Sometimes we prefer our mashed potatoes “faux,” and use cauliflower in lieu of actual potatoes.
- I use Hummus for egg salad and chicken salad instead of mayonnaise.
- I use almond milk instead of milk. We are all big fans of Blue Diamond’s “Almond Breeze” almond milk. You can find it at most grocery stores.
- In a lot of recipes you can use olive oil for butter!
- When a recipe calls for buttermilk I combine 1 tablespoon of white vinegar with 1 cup of almond or rice milk.
- Avoiding eggs? Try 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or for sweet recipes or deserts use 1/2 large banana, mashed, or 1/4 cup applesauce, but only for sweet recipes.
- Crushed bran cereal or rolled oats are a great substitute or bread crumbs.
- I haven’t had soy sauce in years, and I never miss the taste – because I always keep a bottle of Bragg Liquid Amino handy. Try it once and you’ll never go back. (I even bring it in my purse when we go to a Chinese restaurant!)
Posted in Dr. WIlson, East West Essentials' Optimal Cleanse, Food, health & wellness, Heather Wilson, Recipes Tagged Dr. Jeanne Wilson, East West Essentials, food, healthy, heather wilson, optimal cleanse, recipe, substitutions
We love the questions, please keep them coming! Today our co-founder, Dr. Jeanne Wilson is taking over the blog. Read on!
Ask Dr. Wilson – What is Causing My Headaches?
Q: My concern is headaches. I get them all the time. Usually I can attribute them to dehydration or skipping a meal, etc. But sometimes I can’t figure out what is causing such annoying pain! Could a food or even environmental allergies be causing them? They haven’t been severe enough to go to a doctor, but they have increased recently, and have become more concerned about them.
A: First off sorry you are having headaches – they can be miserable!
My first suggestion is Read More
While we help our clients on the path to health and wellness we get asked a lot of questions. A lot! One that is recurring seems to center around body composition, specifically how to change it beyond exercise and diet.
What is body composition?
Body composition is a measure of the lean and fatty tissues that make up your body weight. Your body is comprised of many tissues: fat, bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, organs and lots of water. A healthy body composition is determined by the percentage of fat versus lean muscle mass. Ideally, it is best to keep fat lower and lean muscle mass higher.
You can develop poor body composition when the percentage of body fat is too high. The most common cause of a high percentage of body fat is excess fat, although it can also result from a loss of bone, as in osteoporosis, or a loss of muscle if you tend to avoid weight training in lieu of the treadmill. I find that patients who do an excessive amount of cardio and skimp on the weight training often have a higher body fat percentage despite a low body weight.
East West Essentials Optimal Protein Powder
Studies have shown colostrum protein can help change body composition vs. a pea protein. East West Essentials’ Optimal Protein Powder is colostrum-based, which is why it is in the all of our fat blast programs and fat burning programs. Lowers cortisol and known to change body composition.
How can you improve your body composition?
A weight-loss program can actually be Read More
Posted in health & wellness, Heather Wilson, Questions, Supplements, tips Tagged body composition, change body composition, colostrum based, colostrum protein, East West Essentials, heather wilson, optimal protein powder