I love to serve this soup as a first course during holiday meals. From my family’s kitchen to yours… enjoy! xo -Heather
- 1/4 cup - olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 12 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups finely chopped kale leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) can adzuki beans,(rinsed & drained)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the zucchini and butternut squash; cook and stir until squash begins to brown, about 15 minutes.
4. Pour in the broth.
5. Stir in basil, sea salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
7. Stir in the kale and adzuki beans, and simmer until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
8. Pour about 3 cups of the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full (you may have to do this in two batches). Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree.
9. Return the pureed portion of the soup to the soup pot, leaving the remaining soup chunky.